Solutions: Cut TDI to Molded MDI Foam
Cut TDI foam has a number of setbacks. This particular piece, for example, required that three individual shapes be cut from two different thicknesses of material, glued together to form a rough cushion, and then shaped for comfort in assembly.
Royal Technologies developed a one-piece molded MDI foam cushion. Because the MDI cushion is molded to shape, upholstery is much easier and faster. Additionally, MDI foam doesn’t lose its form like TDI, so the finished product stays comfortable longer.
- Purchased TDI slab stock in 2 thicknesses.
- (3) defined shapes are individually cut.
- Pieces are glued together.
- Final cushion curvature is created through upholstery operation via labor intensive pulling, tucking and stapling of the fabric.
- TDI foam system shows loss of compression set over time causing fabric wrinkling and loss of comfort.
- One piece molded MDI foam cushion
- Net shape is designed into part for easier and faster upholstery operation.
- Upper raised flange is molded in place to eliminate thin layer of padding used to soften transition to substrate.
- No adhesive is needed.
- Training time for upholstery is 30% faster due to net shape.
Browse More Solutions
A plastic alternative at a lower cost point with greater flexibility
One of our customers asked us to help make their automotive safety lenses even more precise.
Taking a prototype design for a revolutionary new task chair and making it production-ready.
Creating a less expensive, easier to produce, and more flexible automotive side shield.
Taking a complex cushion and making it simple, less costly and more comfortable.
Developing an environmental-friendly, low-cost, light-weight arm rest for a world-renowned product.
Our file compressor weighed less than 30% of the original and costs 30% less.
Lowering production costs by nearly 15% while improving product strength and ease of assembly.