Precision lenses perform a wide variety of tasks related to automotive safety. One of our customers asked us to help make their lenses even more precise.
Enhanced sensing technology was driving a demand for higher precision optical lens solutions. To help them meet this new demand, our solutions would need to include tighter processing control, higher quality molds and unique tooling solutions. It would also mean alternative packaging and unique inspection solutions.
Royal Technologies developed a Class 100,000 Cleanroom as well as a variety of automated production and testing procedures. The resulting lenses were 35% less expensive and provided a 30% increase in functionality.
Cost vs. Original Cost
Change in Weight
Increase in Functionality
Existing and future lens requirements were identified, categorized and ranked in complexity from 1 (easy +/- 0.15mm) to 10 (complex +/- 20micron)
- Diffusing lens, non directional (Scale=1)
- Diffusing lens, directional (Scale=3)
- Lightpipes – simple (Scale=4)
- Lightpipes – complex (Scale=6)
- Glare/Ambiant gathering lens (Scale=8)
- Halographic Diffusion lens (Scale=9)
- Optical imaging lens (Scale=10)
- Developed an optical Class 100,000 Cleanroom for molding lenses.
- Researched and developed relationship with tooling source to create Diamond Turned Inserts for optic areas.
- Developed laser distance inspection for focal distance measurement of imaging lenses. Hold focal point to focal point distance at 20 micron tolerance.
- Machines, automation and packaging are designed to eliminate handling and contamination of lenses.
- Imaging lenses are packed in automated reels to facilite automated circuit board mounting.
- Lens processing is optimized and controlled via cavity pressure technology and decoupled 3 processing.