Solutions: F250 Seat Composite Cushion Frame
Replace magnesium die cast, a known light weight material, with a plastic alternative at a lower cost point with greater flexibility in terms of design and cost while satisfying all Safety and Crashworthiness requirements.
Royal technologies worked closely with Ford, the resin supplier and tool shops to develop an industry first application of a composite material into a 2-point pivoting structural set cushion frame. This new solution provided a significant cost and weight reduction, improved the carbon footprint as well as earned Ford an SPE award and 4 US Patents.
- Magnesium die cast cushion frame.
- Existing Magnesium tooling required constant maintenance
- Magnesium part requires secondary de-flash operation
- Magnesium part requires specialty fasteners to attach to seat structure and plastic latch
- Magnesium as a material is more expensive when compared to a composite plastic.
- Magnesium applications worldwide have significantly larger carbon footprint compared to plastic composites.
- First industry application of 40% LF GF-PP composite material in a combination 2-point pivoting structural seat cushion frame
- Meets or Exceeds all NHTSA and FMVSS requirements
- Improved crashworthiness using energy absorbing EPP anti-submarine block
- Meets Jounce durability, Console System Static and Cycle Loads
- Eliminated use of specialty fasteners for magnesium thread forming
- Offers an open architecture for future add-on features such as:
- Cargo hooks, Straps, and Unique Flexible Storage Features
- Inter-changeable (lock vs. non-lock) latch provides customer personalization
Winner of SPE 2016 Safety Award
Browse More Solutions
A plastic alternative at a lower cost point with greater flexibility
One of our customers asked us to help make their automotive safety lenses even more precise.
Taking a prototype design for a revolutionary new task chair and making it production-ready.
Creating a less expensive, easier to produce, and more flexible automotive side shield.
Taking a complex cushion and making it simple, less costly and more comfortable.
Developing an environmental-friendly, low-cost, light-weight arm rest for a world-renowned product.
Our file compressor weighed less than 30% of the original and costs 30% less.
Lowering production costs by nearly 15% while improving product strength and ease of assembly.