Solutions: Automotive Side Shield
Side Shield Front
Side Shield Back
Designing for the automotive industry means navigating a minefield of complex challenges and requirements. One manufacturer approached us with a problem: their prototype side seating shield was expensive to produce and difficult to manufacture—they needed an alternative.
Our prototype, though slightly heavier, was less expensive to produce and far easier to assemble. In addition, because of the material and manufacturing processes we employed, our prototype allowed more flexibility for aesthetics.
- Multishot Injection mold part design.
- 3 distinct areas for 2nd shot elastomer.
- Extremely complex and expensive mold.
- Gating would need to be 3 zone sequential valve gating.
- Actual mold design feasibility was in question.
- High tool maintenance cost.
- Poor shutoff conditions.
- Top closeout and main shield molded as a simpler 2 shot part.
- Lower skirt and seatbelt opening combined into one simple, Open and Shut mold with living hinge.
- Third part (simple, open and shut mold with living hinge) designed to aid retention of heat stake operation.
- InfraStake process used for assembly.
- Assembly is performed at molding machine to utilize labor.
Browse More Solutions
A plastic alternative at a lower cost point with greater flexibility
One of our customers asked us to help make their automotive safety lenses even more precise.
Taking a prototype design for a revolutionary new task chair and making it production-ready.
Creating a less expensive, easier to produce, and more flexible automotive side shield.
Taking a complex cushion and making it simple, less costly and more comfortable.
Developing an environmental-friendly, low-cost, light-weight arm rest for a world-renowned product.
Our file compressor weighed less than 30% of the original and costs 30% less.
Lowering production costs by nearly 15% while improving product strength and ease of assembly.